Friday, June 16, 2006

he called the hospital, her sister's house, and the place that does her hair*

I can hardly wait for the day it becomes illegal for Tennesseans to use a cell phone while driving. Everyone thinks they can talk and drive just fine. Well, 95% of everyone is wrong. You cannot drive and talk at the same time, primarily because you are already driving and eating, applying makeup, changing a cd, writing a note, reading the paper, reading a billboard, and smacking a kid in the backseat. The combination of said activities causes you to stray over the white lines of your lane, run red lights, drive slowly, cut people off, and generally screw up the flow of traffic. Unless your phone call is regarding a missing child, a burning building, or national security, it can wait the thirty minutes until you arrive in your parking spot at work or home. And when I honk at your car for consistently driving halfway in your lane and halfway in mine, do not give me a nasty look and yell obscenities. That is rude and ridiculous. And dangerous - remember that people have been shot for that.

I hate being the person on the other end of the line when you call me from the road. You aren't paying attention to what I am saying, or what you are saying, for that matter. Trust me, you aren't. You are paying attention to where you are headed and who you are meeting there instead of what I might need to tell you or need from you during the conversation.

I am not saying that I never ever ever talk on the phone while driving. But I know that I am less aware of other drivers when I do and I am not engaged in the conversation anyway. So I shouldn't. From now on, I am going to restrict my calls from the road to matters of missing children, burning buildings, or national security.


* "phones are ringing" by martina mcbride

11 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I despise people who talk on the phone in public places. Very timely - as I was thinking of a post along these very same lines about a man who stood in front of me at Starbucks. Talked on his phone the entire time he was in the coffee shop. I wanted to atomic drop him!

1:56 AM  
Blogger Cole said...

What? I'm sorry, Laura, I didn't quite understand your posting. I was logged on and reading your blog while driving to work today.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN to this post! I don't have this problem because I don't own a cell phone :)

4:14 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Yeah, I have issues with cell phones, too, but mainly they have to do with people who seem to rather talk on their cell phone than talk to the person who is with them--at lunch, in the car, etc. I think that is so rude.

But, I am pleading guilty to swerving in lanes to pick up a dropped toy from the back seat floorboard, referee a fight, get out snacks, all while trying to talk on my cell phone. The car used to be the only place I felt like I could have a coherent conversation b/c my two children were strapped into their car seats. But, you know, I am now coming to the same conclusions you are-- it's really unsafe and absolutely hard to give someone your attention when everything else is going on. I often feel guilty when I hang up. Most days, I only call my best friend when driving around town, and then, only to "check in"-- I can hang up on her and she always understands :)

4:17 PM  
Blogger laura g said...

just think scott, you weren't even on your cell phone those two times that you...

what, cole? i can't quite understand your comment because i am cleaning a toilet.

karen, that is very close to true.

laurie, when i see a distracted mother with kids in the back, i always feel more sympathy than anger at her swerving, but it still makes me nervous because most people don't grasp the risk. it's good that your friend understands when you hang up on her :)

8:36 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

STOP IT YOU - I am one of the few who can go the wrong way down a one-way street with the safety and preservation of my passengers quite secured.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Al said...

Sounds great! Think they'd enforce that in TN?

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i talk on the phone while driving, i'll get to where I'm going and have no recollection of how I got there.

7:49 AM  
Blogger laura g said...

scott, you know you love me. and frankly, if you are driving me toward the beach, i don't care how you get me there.

al, nope. sure don't. i think it has already failed once.

jj, that's why i'm glad you fly most places you go.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Hey Laura,,,,tragedy in Abilene a few years ago...This girl was driving and her Mom called her from out of town to check on her and as the girl is talking on the phone she has a fatal car accident and the mother hears it all over the phone..so sad...

10:05 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

True that - now...if I can just figure out which direction the beach is... hmmmmm...

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home