Tuesday, May 08, 2007

tick, tick, tick, tick...

I was pretty sure I was about to witness a mass shooting last week. At Comcast.

I was standing in line to return a modem. The line was moving quickly, the employees were friendly, the sun was shining.

Then a man bursts through the doors, yelling obscenities at Comcast in general. He was pacing around the room while asking and answering his own questions and yelling at employees. He skipped all of us in line and barged right up to an employee's desk demanding he be seen next. The employee refused and told him to get back in line. So he wandered around some more and kept on blathering, getting more and more angry. He absolutely would not stand still.

Wishing that I was in a bank where an employee was reaching under her desk to press the silent alarm, I was also wishing I had brought my purse inside with me so I'd have my cell phone.

Instead, the employees acted like this sort of thing happens every day. They weren't concerned AT ALL. They were rolling their eyes and muttering about him - as if THAT was gonna calm him down. I wasn't the only one in line who was quietly panicking; even the men were glancing at each other trying to gauge who could tackle this guy.

During previous trips to Comcast, I've seen a security guard inside and wondered why they needed him. Now I know. Though I didn't see him THAT DAY.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

OH my gosh..what is Comcast anyway?

That is frightening..

5:58 PM  
Blogger laura g said...

Oh yeah, Beverly, I forget that Comcast doesn't have the market locked up in every state like they do in Tennessee. Comcast is a cable tv/internet/phone provider (who is more expensive than other providers but who we are all stuck with if we want cable tv).

7:39 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

How scary! And how interesting that a scenario like that doesn't even raise concern with the employees.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

"Oh you'll never get to Heaven," mama said.

Ticking, ticking...

"Grow up straight, and true blue--run along to bed."

Hear him,
Hear him,
Ticking, ticking.

(From Elton John's "Ticking," from the album Caribou)

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home