Thursday, October 12, 2006

FW: Fw: Fw: FW: Fw:

I hate forwarded mass emails, especially those that include a sensational urban legend about how I should inspect my bag of salad at the grocery store because it might have a frog in it. Or how Coca-Cola will send me free cases for life if I forward this message to ten people in ten cities in the next ten minutes. Or how gang members will kill me if I flash my car lights at another driver who does not have their lights on. Or how I should be careful at parties because someone might steal one of my kidneys when I'm not looking and leave me in a bathtub full of ice. (I remember the day I heard that one on the radio, reported as a factual news story, as I drove to high school.)

You should know that if you send me such email, I will search for the topic on www.snopes.com and I will reply to ALL of the other hundred thousand people to whom you sent it, letting them know that the crisis is false. You will feel silly. Trust me.

This site is your friend. Use it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Oh, I already feel silly, so there's no deterrant there ;-)

Seriously, I could do without almost ANY forwarded email. And snopes IS a great site.

Though they kinda take the legend out of Urban Legend. Can't we have fables any more???

3:53 PM  
Blogger janet said...

i hear you. i usually only send the corrected info to the person who sent me. i call it private humilation. not as effective as your method i´m sure.

scott, have you ever heard the urban fable about the lady who had the spider lay eggs in her face? oh wait, don´t fables need morals to the story???

5:35 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Yeah, the moral of that story is ... "Don't let female pregnant spiders get on your face."

11:38 AM  
Blogger Cole said...

But Laura, I had a friend whose uncle's car wash guy checked for change in a public phone booth and someone had left a dirty needle that gave him HIV....I swear it was true.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Umm.."If you don't forward this to 10 people you love you will die in one hour." I don't forward it but find myself watching my back in the next hour...

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA! This is the funniest thing I have ever read in my entire life :)

5:15 PM  
Blogger laura g said...

you guys make me laugh so much...

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home