Monday, May 12, 2008

Street View

I just discovered the relatively new feature on Google Maps called Street View. And I must say, I'm a little creeped out. Type in your address to see a street-level photo of your house. Mosey down the road to see your neighbors' houses. You might even see your neighbor standing in their yard. Or, if the light is just so, standing in their living room.

I'm certainly not going to post my home address here, but for those of you who know it, type it in, go to the sixth house down, and THERE'S MY HOUSE. Taken almost exactly this week last year, best I can tell.

I wonder who Google contracted with to drive around with a video camera mounted on top of their car and take all of this footage. (You can see that in the shadow.) I saw that Arlington is available, too. Abilene isn't. Yet.

You can report an "inappropriate image" to request that your property be blacked out if, say, they caught you in your jammies (or worse).

Think of all that was captured on film for this project. Just think.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just tried StreetView on the website of Fizber, it is a powerful feature!

5:31 AM  
Blogger karen said...

I thought you could use a "non-spam" comment on this blog! Fortunately, my "street view" is blocked by the water tower. It's a good thing since I sleep in the nude.

5:14 PM  
Blogger laura g said...

that quote never gets old, i tell you what. "forget your jammies ms. packard?"

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home