Thursday, November 02, 2006

better than chocolate*



in a rush to whip up a dessert for my company halloween party, i discovered the easiest recipe using the most blessed combination of ingredients on the planet.

3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup powdered sugar
3 cups rice krispies cereal
and a little extra peanut butter to pipe through the corner of a ziplock bag

slowly melt peanut butter and chocolate chips in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. remove from heat and stir in sugar. in medium bowl, thoroughly combine cereal and one cup of the chocolate mixture. spread into a circle on your serving platter, forming a two-inch-wide edge/rim. pour remaining chocolate mixture into center of circle and spread to edges. pipe extra peanut butter in concentric circles over smooth chocolate center. lightly drag a toothpick through the peanut butter, from the center toward the outside edges, making a spiderweb design. for extra evil, i added reeses pieces around the outside edge since they are halloween colors. chill at least 30 minutes before serving. i stored it in the fridge overnight and it was fine. and unless it is the night before halloween like it was for me, you could find little plastic spiders at the store to stick in the web.

here's the best part - it took all of 20 minutes.

the next best part - this could be used as a birthday dessert or for just about anything else since you could decorate the center with something other than a spiderweb.

i loves me some peanut butter and chocolate.

*from "ice cream" by sarah mclachlan

10 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmm. I want some!

7:33 AM  
Blogger e. l. wood said...

looks mighty tasty. i wish i'd seen this before my halloween party . . . it will most certainly be on the table next year. thanks.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

alright..I'll write this one down!

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you "whip it up" like Cole whips you in tennis?

2:43 PM  
Blogger laura g said...

katie, you could have if you had moved to nashville like all the cool kids. ;)

e and bev, glad to hear it. happy to be of service.

anon - *GASP* he LIES.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Beautiful, Laura. I just told my in-laws about this recipe this weekend. I am definitely going to try it--thanks for sharing!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not lying. I was there. Cole whipped Laura in tennis so soundly that Yvonne Goolagong, vacationing in Waikiki that day, came over and congratulated him.

9:00 AM  
Blogger laura g said...

Really? I thought it was Martina Hingis, coming over to ask for Cole's phone number.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Flake said...

That is definitely what would make my leg feel better!!

12:29 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Okay Laura, you are going to have to post something else because I am trying to lose a few and everytime I click over here I see that yummy desert it makes me crazy...

If I was in Nashville today I would go to Percy Warner park and ride horses..I loved that!

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home