Friday, December 01, 2006

before you know it, they'll have their own schools*

i tend to get irritated in situations involving prolonged forced small talk with strangers. that probably makes me a bad person. nevertheless, getting a haircut is one such situation. i go to the same salon all the time, where their staff turnover rate seems a bit high, because i have never had a haircut from the same person and the girls who are there never recognize my previous stylist's name.

as was the case tonight. so off we went down the same conversation trail. they must teach a particular order of questions there because it is always the same.
so do you live around here?
did you go to high school here?
are you in school? (they always tell me i look like i'm in college.)
oh, so where do you work? (they never recognize my employer and never know what being a grant writer means.)
are you single?
so do you think he's the one?

maybe it would be more uncomfortable to sit there in relative silence. i don't know... i just know i will have the same exact conversation again in six weeks or so.

*Seinfeld

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your an anti-dentite!!!

anyways, i love small talk. its fun to get creative. and honestly, if you ever feel uncomfortable, feel free to call it out. say "do you ever get annoyed by the same old conversation??" or just say something off the wall and see how they respond.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

tell her you just had oral surgery and you can't talk...

4:08 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

oh yeah..heads up..can't do that more than once...

4:08 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Juice sorta took mine - antistylite

I am the world's WORST at small talk - but I have to say that I'd rather make small talk with HITLER than go back to the lady who cut my hair and tried to tell me my personality from what she could see in the patterns of my hair. No kidding - this went on for hours - ok, minutes - but it was the most unbearable haircut experience of my LIFE.

Great post.

HAHAHAH - Beverly said "Heads up" on a post about haircuts.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I only get my hair cut twice a year or so these days, and it is the biggest luxary to me to go and sit there in silence. I hear you that small talk can be exhausting, if not outright depressing.

I have to say, though, that I have had the great fortune to love two hairdressers in my time. There was Angie from Abilene, who is just great. I always looked forward to my visits with her. And, since moving to Denton, I actually found a stylist with whom I felt immediately connected with, although our lifestyles (and hairstyles) are clearly WAY different from one another's. I seriously have enjoyed talking to her more than most of the stay at home moms I have run across in YEARS.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

I usually say "Do you know Jesus as your personal savior" That shut's 'em up.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and me, we're the same person. I hate small talk too.

My mom's parents were hairdressers and had a salon in their basement. I have inherited the following "tips for a good haircut experience" from my mother...who learned from them. I have added tip 4 myself.

1. make your appointment with the owner
2. tip well
3. supply food/beverages on occasion
4. under no circumstance should you go to any place with the word "Value," "Super," or "Bargain." The words "Family" and "Snips" are questionable.

After 18 years with the same stylist, we are way beyond small talk and I can't bring myself to try anybody else. For $11.95, I get a decent cut, a complimentary blow dry and style (usually), and ENDLESS entertainment. (NOTE: the cost of airfare is not included in the $11.95).

4:47 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

girl, i got your card and cried..very sweet. Can't wait to hug your neck one day. When do you ever expect to be in Abilene again?

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home