Thursday, March 16, 2006

a little field trip

This is All Saints Chapel at Sewanee, "The University of the South." It is about two hours east-ish of Nashville hidden away in the hills and trees. There is quite a bit of interesting (boring) history about the place, which I am sure you could find on the university's website if you wish. Mainly, I thought it was a beautiful campus and I'm glad I took along my camera. "The University of the South" sure sounds like it would have more than 1,000 students though. I guess a university can make up whatever tagline it pleases.

That day, I had much more profound things to say about the inspiration of the history and architecture and stained glass windows, but I waited so long to write about it that now, not so profound. So nevermind about that.

The entirety of the town of Sewanee (other than the college) sits on one city block and consists of a post office, a bank (mine, coincidentally), an electric company (with one truck), a beauty shop, a gift shop, a gas station, and if I remember correctly, a car wash. No corner market, so maybe there is one more street somewhere. Or maybe everyone grows their own food and raises their own milk cows. I don't know. But it was small.

It sure was peaceful. Slower and quieter and greener and cleaner and peaceful.







5 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

It is pretty, but ... and I mean this in the nicest way ... Sewanee??? Sounds like an even more hick (hicker?) way of saying "Swanee" - something I would have thought impossible 'till this moment.

2:49 PM  
Blogger laura g said...

hey, i didn't name the place. i mean, i would have named it something cool. like merkel, for example.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

LOL!!!!!

Yeah, or "Notsostinkwater"

3:14 PM  
Blogger Cole said...

nice photos, Commander. It ain't no Harry Potter Hall, but it's good. :)

3:23 AM  
Blogger laura g said...

thanks, b.

cole, when ACU isn't paying for it, Sewanee is the best I can do. but with Wayne-O's p-card in your pocket, the sky is the limit.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home