Saturday, January 28, 2006

Do I have to wait until breakfast to have a waffle and syrup?

Three years old is my favorite age of kid. They have all the best books. Like Kipper, and Curious George, and Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy. They have all the best games. Like Hi-Ho-Cherry-O, and Hungry Hungry Hippos, and PlayDoh everything.

I kept my cousins Friday and Saturday and we had big fun. It helps that they are incredibly well-behaved and bright for a seven year old boy and three year old girl. (Gracie can even be quiet in church, CB.)

Gracie thinks she can read. With a lot of her books, she has memorized the words to say with each page. So she brings me a book, snuggles up, and says, "Let me read you a story, Laura." (Except she can't pronounce the "r" in my name.) She reads the title, turns each page, and follows along with her finger (sort of) as she tells the story almost word for word correctly. There's no skippin' pages on this kid just 'cause the reader is tired.

She can also sing every word of "When We All Get to Heaven" because it has her name (Grace) and her brother's name (Victor) and she gets to sing and SHOUT.

She came in the bathroom as I was getting ready this morning and saw me putting in my contacts. She asked what I was doing, so I told her. She was fascinated that a little piece of plastic could make me see better. She went on to tell me that her mom doesn't wear contacts, but she wears glasses so she can read books. Later, Gracie got something in her eye and it itched. She came running. "Laura, I need some of your eye stuff because I can't see."

The only thing with three year olds is that they get up early on Saturday morning. I woke up at 6:30 and enjoyed 30 more minutes of silence before I heard her Dora the Explorer scooter inching down the hallway into my bedroom. "Laura, can I climb in with you?"

By the way, Giant Pooh Bear played Hi-Ho-Cherry-O with us. He won. Both times.

5 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Ooooooh, so you HAVE tried the ol' page-skip. Dern kids get too smart for their own good.

They still gots Hungry Hungry Hippo??? I loves me that game.

8:40 PM  
Blogger laura g said...

Yep, Hungry Hungry Hippos is still around. But now it comes in a new and improved design, where the four hippos detach and it all fits in a much smaller box than before.

1:26 PM  
Blogger marrie said...

I love three year olds too, they are sweet. But then, I seem to love whatever age my kids are, when they were newborns, I only wanted to be around other newborns, then they were toddlers and toddlers seemed like the BEST. Now they are four and two, and I think they are just the sweetest things ever. My daughter does the same thing with the "reading" it is so cute when my son asks her to "read" him a story and she does.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Cole said...

Children should not be taken in to church. They should be spanked and left in the parking lot.

4:55 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I agree, Laura. My daughters are three and four, and I love the stages they are in. Whenever they are not fighting with each other, that is :) They pretty much "pretend" all day long, and I love their imaginations. Although, like Marrie, I really miss the old days, too.

Cole--whatever!

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home