Wednesday, March 01, 2006

We interrupt this program...

Last night at the YMCA, I was happily working out and watching national news on one of the three televisions in front of my machine. The other two tvs were showing a basketball game (same on both sets). In the middle of a story, some guy reaches up to the tv with the news and changes the channel. Not to another national news channel he prefers more than the current choice, but to the public access channel for A DOCUMENTARY ON AN ARCTIC SAILING EXPEDITION IN 1848. Every single other person in that section of the workout room was watching the news. Change one of the TWO tvs on the same channel, for crying out loud. It wasn't even the tv closest to his machine. The guy didn't even stay until the program was over, so it's not like he came specifically to work out at 7:00pm and watch a program, like many people do. Reading the closed captioning about how these sailors cannibalized each other after two years of being stranded in the ice wasn't exaaactly what I wanted to do for 45 minutes. And I couldn't abandon my machine to change a channel because of the vultures waiting to use it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Sorrrrryyyyyyy! In my defense, I actually thought it was going to be a documentary about the artic sailing expidition of 1832, so I was a bit confused through much of the documentary. As soon as I discovered it was the 1848 expidition, I was all, "well I'm just going to get off the treadmill and let one on my way out!"

10:27 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

It makes you wonder about people sometimes, dosen't it?

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home